Towards Unicode Layout

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 29 15:35:44 UTC 2012

This discussion reminds me greatly of our old SignType program. The same constraints were used there and there were books and books of preferred typing schema to achieve speed and accuracy in searching. The old SignType program allowed for searching for individual glyphs, and some of the earliest studies in sign language discussed how to compare signs for duplication mechanically noting that the human mind can show connection between signs performed with a dominant left or right hand as the same sign, and variants between small and large movements that are essentially the same in meaning and context (like trying to sign one handed and having to assume the second sign if you are carrying a pile of books).

Charles Butler

chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com

240-764-5748

Clear writing moves business forward.

From: Jonathan Duncan <duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA>
Subject: Re: Towards Unicode Layout
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 1:22 PM

    Hi Martin,

        I just finished giving your document a second read over.  I
    added some comments and remarks and hope that they will be
    insightful and also that you get back to me with some of my requests
    for clarification.

        For some time, I have thought that attaching symbol to symbol
    could add additional information to the SignWriting data.  I thought
    that it might be useful to explicitly state which symbols contact,
    or interact (for movement symbols) would be useful for automating
    avatar animation and also changing from one receptive to expressive
    viewpoints.  But I haven't because, defining attach points for all
    the symbols is more work than I can do by myself.  Then to make use
    of the information, we would need to create a new input mechanism
    (or a conversion routine and then have someone read them to see if
    the relationship were properly inferred) and new rendering engines,
    which are also a lot of work.  But the idea in itself is appealing.

    Regards,

    Jonathan

    Author of SignWriter Studio

    On 12/6/2012 9:02 PM, Martin Hosken