Who we are?/ How many?

Claudia S. Bianchini chiadu14 at TISCALI.IT
Wed Feb 8 12:53:04 UTC 2012

I think it depends on what you think that using SW is! It's depend on the
project (transcription, writing, education, translation, informatics?), the
people involved, the cities involved...
Can we tell Italians use SW? There is a group of italians using SW, but
there are less than 10 persons (we just start spreading SW, after 10 years
studing it for research purposes, so now we have about 50-60 persons
knowing it, but did they use it? I don't know!). By the way, they use it
massively to research purpose envolving writing and transcription. So we
can't tel that Italians (all!!!) use SW, but we can tell that there is a
"pole of excelence" on SW in Rome.
I think that it very hard to speak about countries using it. I prefere to
think that there are places where SW is used: Rome (10 persons), Toulouse
(1 person), La Jolla (Valerie and the DAC's members)... Maybe in some
palces it's more extended, because they use it at scool (but to be
considered "spread" it have to be more than one single scool, I think). I
hope that, frome those "pole of excelence" we can spread SW all around us,
but it's not already done! We have to work harder!!! :-)

--
*Claudia S. Bianchini*
*PhD student