SignWriting Display in Thorne Library, Mount Vernon, Ohio

Thu Feb 16 19:53:50 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
February 16, 2012

Dear SW List Members -

A special thank you to David Tipton and Sheryl Hendrix, at Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Thorne Library, for creating this beautiful SignWriting display in their library - Thank you for the photo attached...

I will be creating a web page about this, and also posting the information on Facebook -

Below are excerpts from emails sent to me about the display -

Erika - notice that Oberlin College is mentioned in David's message below - Maybe a similar display on SignWriting could be in Oberlin College's library someday?

Val ;-)

----------

Subject: SignWriting Display in Thorne Library, Mount Vernon, Ohio
Date: February 14, 2012

Valerie
We have created our SignWriting display.

I have attached a picture of the display that was created using your SignWriting books and media – which are all now cataloged and will be available to our patrons who would like to check them out.

The display will be up through March (maybe longer). We typically have 1 to 2 months before we switch things out.

Soon, we will be posting on our Facebook page as well. http://www.facebook.com/mvnulibrary

I am the one that started this project for our library. I have been following SignWriting (and DanceWriting) for years. I remember the original program for SignWriting. While I am not deaf, I have had a fascination with sign language all of my life.

You may be interested to know that our library is part of a library consortium in Ohio called OhioLINK. It is a consortium of all the major academic libraries (including Oberlin College and the state schools). I noticed that there were only a couple of SignWriting items in the entire consortium. That is why I decided we needed to have better representation of this fascinating linguistic tool.

David E. Tipton, Library Director
Thorne Library/Learning Resource Center
Mount Vernon Nazarene University
800 Martinsburg Road
Mount Vernon, OH 43050-9500
David.Tipton at mvnu.edu
Voice: (740) 397-9000 x4241  Fax: (740) 397-8847

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org