Initial draft of the Modern SignWriting specification

Wed Feb 22 22:58:18 UTC 2012

Hi Bill,

On 2/22/12 4:32 PM, Bill Reese wrote:
> That looks great Steve.  In the PDF, 7.D, "Horizontal Layout" (page 23
> of 42), it says "Signs with head symbols are centered in the upper
> head lane."  In the example, though, you just show signs that have
> heads at the top and the heads are centered, not the whole sign.

Thanks for looking.  I need to add illustrations to section 7.B.3
Center.  It states "If a SignBox contains head symbols, then the
vertical center is the midpoint of the tight bounding box around the
head symbols."

The signs above have their center marked by horizontal and vertical
lines.  The first sign and the last sign are the same except for the
heads.  The presence of the head symbol means a different centering rule
needs to be applied to the sign itself.

If we look at the example of horizontal writing...

The first sign contains a head, which implies two things:
1) by section 7.B.3, the vertical center of the sign is the midpoint of
the tight bounding box around the head symbols
2) by section 7.D, the center of the sign is aligned with the upper head
lane

The second sign does not contain a head, which implies two things:
1) the center of the sign is the midpoint of the tight bounding box
around all of the symbols
2) the center of the sign is aligned with the middle lane.

I hope that makes sense.  I will plane to add illustrations in section
7.B.3 and try to add a better explanation to section 7.D.

Regards,
-Steve