AW: both-hand arrow

Yuri Barreto nempretonembranco at YAHOO.COM.BR
Sat Feb 25 02:31:51 UTC 2012

     Well, in an economical way, I believe that is so good ...

--- Em sex, 24/2/12, Stefan Wöhrmann <stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM> escreveu:

De: Stefan Wöhrmann <stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Assunto: AW: both-hand arrow
Para: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Data: Sexta-feira, 24 de Fevereiro de 2012, 19:50

Hi friends,

I would prefer this spelling
–

Stefan ;-)

Von: SignWriting
List: Read and Write Sign Languages [mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton

Gesendet: Freitag, 24. Februar
2012 21:30

An:
SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

Betreff: Re: both-hand arrow

SignWriting List

February 24, 2012

Regarding this, let me show you a really beautiful writing in
SignWriting from Brazil, by Yuri, who posted this on Facebook, and thank you,
Yuri, for this posting - I was so happy to see it - I love seeing your
SignWriting - I hope you don't mind that I point to one of your SignSpellings
;-)

Notice the arrow in the first sign -

In this case, for me, this is not a General Arrowhead - the two paths
are not overlapping into GREY…it would be a right and left arrowhead - The
right arrow is written over the right hand and the left arrow is written over
the left hand - the Rub symbol could be written once between the two arrows…
here is an example...

Val ;-)

--------

On Feb 24, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Valerie Sutton wrote:

SignWriting List

February 24, 2012

Hello SignWriting List, Honza, Ingvild, Kimberley -

Thank you for the question and the responses… I realize that you may be
using the General Arrowhead differently than the way I teach it…and all is ok.
Part of the reason there has been confusion is that our older textbooks did not
explain this well, in fact I believe the old textbook said "if they
contact, it is General, and that is true, but it is not the whole story… so you
can put the blame on my old textbooks ;-)

I have wanted to explain this better for a long time…It is a subject I
had been planning to bring up here on the List, so thank you for the question
Honza -

You see, the General Arrowhead means "Overlapping Paths". I
always imagine Marcel Marceau, the famous classic mime artist, with his hands
in black and white paint, painting imaginary paths of movement in space…

So here is how I teach it:

The Right, Left and General Arrowheads are representing "movement
paths".

Imagine your right hand has black paint on it. Your left hand has white
paint on it. There is a black path, and a white path showing movement in space.

Now imagine two hands moving down, side by side. They paint two
separate paths in space…a black path and a white path.

But now imagine the two hands with one above the other one, but NOT
contacting…just simply one above the other. When the two hands start to move
down together, the one above paints on top of the path of the one on the
bottom…the two paths blend…and when they blend…you can no longer see black or
white - it becomes grey… and so the GREY path is the General Arrowhead…

They could also be contacting…but the black and white paths have to
overlap, to become GREY. It does not require contact.

This is taught in the textbook "SignWriting Basics" from
2009, which is free for download on the web. Go to:

SignWriting Lessons Online

http://www.SignWriting.org/lessons

and download number 1 on that web page - called SignWriting Basics.

Here is the excerpt from that book, on page 34 in the book (number page
in the book)… the PDF page is page 39 -

------

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:

sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu

Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List
Messages

SignWriting

Read & Write Sign
Languages