An alphabet for a specific sign language from the ISWA 2010

Sat Jul 28 20:32:19 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
July 28, 2012

Hi Maria and Charles -

Yes, Charles is correct. Using the Symbol Frequency feature in SignPuddle Online is an excellent way to find all of the symbols used to write the signs in that specific database. For example, imagine you are searching for all of the handshapes used in American Sign Language.

1. Go to the ASL SignPuddle dictionary:

ASL SignPuddle Dictionary
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=4

2. Click on Symbol Frequency.
3. Click on the Hands category.
4. Click on the SymbolGroup you want.
5. Notice in that group, which symbols have numbers under them, and which ones are grey?
6. The grey symbols are symbols not used in writing ASL signs in the ASL dictionary puddle.
7. The numbers under the symbols shows how many times that symbol was used to write signs in this database…

See attached -

-------

-----

sutton at signwriting.org