How to Print the SVG Format in SignPuddle

Sat Jun 9 15:06:56 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
June 9, 2012

I seem to be giving tech support on Facebook to the SignWriting lists there, more often these days, than here on the SignWriting List. In today's scattered social networking, it is hard to find anyone in one place any more!

Today SignWriting users in Argentina asked me a similar question about SVG…but their question was related to capturing individual signs in SVG in the Customize Sign area of SignPuddle.

Here is my answer to them:

How to save the SVG format in SignPuddle? There are two ways - The best is to Print to PDF (METHOD 2 below) and then the PDF version can be inserted as a graphic in many programs. The faster choice is to create a screen capture of that one sign, and that makes it a good-looking jpg or png...here are instructions on how to insert an SVG into Microsoft Word:

HOW TO TRANSFER SVG SIGNS INTO MICROSOFT WORD

METHOD 1
Create a Screen Capture of the SVG Image

1. Create the SVG sign in Customize Sign.
2. Take a screen capture of the SignWriting.
3. The screen capture creates a PNG or JPG for you.
4. In Microsoft Word, choose the Insert a Picture from a File.

METHOD 2
Print the SVG to a PDF, and Insert the PDF like a graphic.

1. Click on Customize Sign.
2. Choose SVG Refinement format.
3. Press the Recreate Button. The sign is now in SVG.
4. Right-click on the middle of the sign. A pull-down menu appears.
5. Choose Print Frame. Instead of printing on paper, choose to “Print to PDF”. On the Mac, the PDF option is built into the Mac printer driver. On Windows, I do not know how to print to PDF but I know other people do it all the time.
6. Once the sign is a PDF, it is like a graphics file.
7. In Microsoft Word, choose the Insert a Picture from a File.
8. Insert the PDF document as if it were a graphics file.

------

-------

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: