REPORT FROM VAL's DESK June 19, 2012

Tue Jun 19 16:39:01 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
June 19, 2012

REPORT FROM VAL's DESK June 19, 2012

Lot's happening!

Welcome to new List members from Paraguay, Brazil and several other countries… You are welcome to post messages in Spanish, Portuguese, English or any other spoken language.

This report is about new SignWriting work in 3 countries: Tunisia, Paraguay, and Brazil. I will post another report about other countries, including a new important project here in the US, in a future message.

------------

1. TUNISIA: Thank you to Dali Balti for teaching SignWriting at a University in Tunisia and to the Tunisian Deaf Community.  Regarding your questions about writing the upper body movements, Dali, did I answer all your questions, which I posted to the List recently? Do you understand everything now?

-----------

2. PARAGUAY: A new project is underway, creating a Paraguay Sign Language Dictionary in SignPuddle Online:

Paraguay Sign Language Dictionary in SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=5&sgn=129

The editor, Mirta Barreto, just joined the SignWriting List. Welcome Mirta! I hope you will write to the List to tell us more about your project in Paraguay. You sent me a description privately, but perhaps you can post that to this List? I know everyone will be interested…It is an impressive project. Our List messages are archived and this provides a way to record your project for others to read about it, in the archive.

I just made you an Editor of the Paraguay SignPuddle.

-------------

3. BRAZIL: There are so many projects in Brazil, it takes my breath away. What a joy on Facebook to read the messages from SignWriting users in Brazil. Thank you to all of you for your enthusiasm and focus on writing LIBRAS. No summary here can list all the SignWriting events in Brazil, so here are just a few that have come to my attention:

a. Ronnie Fagundes de Brito, EGC UFSC, Florianópolis - SC - Brasil
Welcome to the SignWriting List, Ronnie… Thank you for developing new software for SignWriting. I am excited about it and I know we will use it…Please tell the SignWriting List about it when you feel ready…

b. Madson and Raquel Barreto
Madson and Raquel have published a new book on SignWriting. Thank you, Madson and Raquel.  I will create a web page about it later. Here is the new web site for purchasing the book:

Livro: Escrita de Sinais sem Mistérios
http://www.librasescrita.com.br/livros/

c. Dr. Fernando C. Capovilla published a new book which includes a section on SignWriting and Woehrmann's SpeechWriting for Portuguese:

Transtornos de Aprendizagem - 2
http://www.memnon.com.br/loja/produtos_descricao.asp?lang=pt_BR&codigo_produto=187

Thank you, Fernando and Stefan, for this gift to the world. I will create a web page about it later.

d. The "SignWriting - Brasil" Facebook group is active with postings. There are so many cool diagrams written in SignWriting and photos with member's sign names written in SignWriting - I enjoy this Facebook group so much….Thank you, Yuri, Barreto, for starting it...

SignWriting - Brasil Facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/338509196173109/

-----

That is my report for today… But there are more new projects and announcements, from the US, French-Canada, Portugal, Argentina and others -

So more reports will be coming...

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu