machine translation and SignWriting

MARIA GALEA maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Fri Mar 9 11:42:01 UTC 2012

hi dear people on the list,

this question is mainly aimed at the computer experts on the list -
i've encountered this article that mentions and acknowledges SignWriting -

http://doras.dcu.ie/15297/1/MorrisseyWay_mtsummit_05.pdf

but does not adopt SignWriting for its purposes - the reasons for not
choosing signwriting are given on page 2 - section 3.2. The only reason I
can understand is that they are assuming that there are only few readers
of SignWriting - and I think this is NOT a valid reason (and it is not
grounded in any statistical research) for not adopting a system - as you
need to USE  SignWriting in order for it to be read..

since this is not my area - can i just ask whether the other reasons for
not adopting SignWriting in their project are acceptable reasons..

thanking you in advance for your help -will be acknowledging your help if
i use this article,
thanks
maria