iPhone App

Thu Mar 29 01:19:49 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
March 28, 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Arthaey Angosii wrote:

> Are there any plans to make something SignWriting-related for the
> iPhone? Dictionary, writing tools, etc… Arthaey

Hello Arthaey!
Thank you for this message, and for your other message asking about SignWriting Shorthand.

Regarding a SignWriting app for the iPad… Yesterday for the first time, I heard that a German programmer has developed or is developing a SignWriting app for the iPad… Stefan Woehrmann told me about it in a Skype conversation. I am excited to learn more about it myself …

Regarding writing tools … Yes, we have writing tools, free and online…We compose in the clouds with SignPuddle Online:

SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle

and on our computer desktops with the PersonalPuddle … plus there is a brand new program that coordinates with SignPuddle Online, called the DELEGS Editor from the University of Hamburg, which is used by Stefan Woehrmann and his students and other teachers of the Deaf in Germany. DELEGS and SignPuddle, as a combination, give powerful tools for writing large texts, with hundreds of pages, thousands of documents and tens of thousands of signs, all on the web not requiring any download.

DELEGS Editor Software
http://www.delegs.com/DelegsPage/

In time, there will be a SignPuddle app for the iPad too, but I am looking forward to seeing the new app developed in Germany that is separate from SignPuddle.

Regarding SignWriting Shorthand, it is not handwriting, but a little like Pitman or Gregg Shorthand in English - and was used in the 1980's to take notes for Deaf signers in the classroom, writing the signing of the interpreter at speed. And it worked for the students who took notes with the Shorthand. However, SignWriting has changed since and the Shorthand needs to be updated to match the way we write today and we have not done that yet…

If you are thinking of texting on iPhones or iPads with SignWriting, I believe there will be a day when SignWriting texting will occur - and that just might become the new "Shorthand" - who knows?!!

By the way, in the German SignPuddle Dictionary online there are over 17,000 signs! That is a big dictionary. Congrats, Stefan -

So Arthaey - tell us - are you interested in developing a SignWriting app for the iPhone?

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org