Oscar - annotation in receptive rather than expressive view point

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 1 14:59:32 UTC 2012

Dear Oscar, Valerie, and many others.

The standard is expressive, I am one of the few who was not only trained, but certified, in receptive. When I was transcribing Lucinda Batch's videos, I had to stop each frame, frame by frame, put it in my hands, then write it again, and I was constantly reversing directions, hands, movements, and it was a real headache.

For me, it would have been faster had I transcribed it receptively, and then taken the whole sign, flipped it over by a mathematical transform and it would be done. A movement in is a movement out, right hand remains right hand on the opposite side with opposite movement seeing from the expressive view. Movement down is still movement down, any combination is a true receptive to expressive view, what we as signers do all the time.  I learned both styles and can do either at will.

Trying to annotate a videotape may present a unique challenge because the idea of taking a videotape, as presented, and having a program take that program, reverse, mirror image, and transform all movements backwards is what, I believe, necessary in the long run to be able to dovetail video presentation into sign writing without long hours of transcription time by authors.

Humans do this all the time. To use sign language you translate into expressive everything you see.

You can't closed-caption a video if you can't type SignWriting at speed, you have to have a visual recognition program, and with the increase in speed and memory, this, I could see, being done. It requires training a body recognition program in reading an avatar and reversing its movements, which has been done in multiple programs in Brazil, and some in Germany.

The current programmers of SignWriting do not have time to do this. The transcription is being done translating written spoken language to written signed language, but no one seems to be tackling taking a video and creating a transcription through video annotation so that a machine can transcribe, not through a human interaction.

That, apparently, is not being discussed here, to my somewhat annoyance, as "it is too difficult" didn't stop it from being done in the first place. The textbooks had to be rewritten, which means the original textbooks are still there and can be used as a starting point to reverse a receptive video tape to an expressive transcription. That's what programming is for, to reduce a tedious task to something relatively error free.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Oscar Koller <oscar.koller at GMAIL.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2012 9:02 AM
Subject: annotation in receptive rather than expressive view point

Hi Charles,

thanks for your answer.

> Oscar, as you have an assistant annotating video tapes, trying to
> translate in your head to an expressive point of view may be driving
> you crazy.

Yes, I have been thinking about that too. And it would be preferable to
do annotation from the receptive view point. However, I need the
transcriptions in an expressive view point in order to match all the
other entries in SignPuddle (as I use them to initialise my system). The
manual annotations are intended to serve as evaluation of the
initialized system, thus they need to match.

If there was an automatic (mathematical) way of converting receptive
into expressive view points, then we could do the "easier" annotation.
But I learnt from Steve Slevinski, that this has not been implemented
and to me it doesn't seem trivial to implement it.

Or does anybody think differently?

Regards, Oscar.