The Status of the SignPuddle Infrastructure: 50%

Fri Oct 5 23:20:36 UTC 2012

Hi SW-List,

To use the SignWriting Script on the computer I have a design for
SignWriting Text.  Like Edison and the lightbulb, the clarity of success
is self evident.  But before Edison could bring the lightbulb to the
public, he had to design an infrastructure of sockets and switches,
power stations and wire, with standards and specifications.  He had to
set up factories and start production and installation.

Several years ago, a light went off for me.  I started a mathematical
exploration of the SignWriting Script.  I created my first mathematical
logogram for SignWriting within the first year of working with Valerie
Sutton.  Since then, I have been improving the design and building an
infrastructure.

I am happy to report that the design is stable and the infrastructure is
50% operational.  The fonts are fully functional and freely available.
The SignWriting Image Server will soon have an official release
candidate for version 3.

I admit that 50% of the infrastructure is not yet complete.  This is
holding us back, but it is our current reality.  For the 50% to still
complete, I have documentation and working prototypes.

Once the infrastructure is 100%, we will be writing naturally on
computers: both with desktop and mobile.  Once the infrastructure status
reaches 100%, the internet community of SignWriters will be well
established and enabled.  Powerful SignWriting Text processing will be
within easy reach of whoever want to use SignWriting Text offline or
online.  Every sign language with active writers will be able to build
their own Wikipedia in their own language.  Free knowledge will flourish.

Until then, we move forward with SignPuddle Online, the ASL Wikipedia
Project, and all of the other great projects around the world that are
compatible with the SignPuddle Standard for SignWriting Text.

I hope to complete the infrastructure 100% next year, in 2013.

I have put together a color coded one page summary. "Status of the
SignPuddle Standard for SignWriting Text".  This distributed model will
ensure that SignWriting Text can scale to the internet and flourish.
Please bookmark this page, check it often, and share it with your friends.
http://signpuddle.com

The standard reference is being documented on the SignPuddle Report:
http://signpuddle.net

LIFE,
-Steve