SW is becoming widespread ;-)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Sep 2 01:31:20 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
September 1, 2012

On Sep 1, 2012, at 4:43 PM, MARIA GALEA wrote:

> Valerie, is this another example of a project that emerged without your
> knowledge? Proving all the more that SW is becoming widespread and
> uncontainable?

Yes, this is a good example. Ronnie wrote to me on Facebook to tell me about his dissertation on creating SignWriting captioning software and I was so impressed and happy to learn about the project.  I had no idea until Ronnie wrote to me on Facebook…Thank you Ronnie! Then we started to communicate a little about it and now we are learning more -

So I do not control SignWriting -  it is free and out in the world - that is the way it must be -

I met Steve that way too, back in 2004 I believe - Steve developed his PUDL and other wonderful SignWriting projects, like BlackJack etc without having ever met me - then one day I found a communication between Steve and someone on a Deaf List, about his Blackjack software in SignWriting and I wrote to Steve to tell him how happy I was to see his work…and from there we got to know each other …now we are collaborators on so many projects -

So I hope to work with anyone who is interested in SignWriting, but almost all projects are conceived and produced without me now…

The projects I am personally involved with are those that our non-profit organization works with here in the US…which include all the software that Steve Slevinski develops, and Adam Frost's work, and the new SignTyp project which just received some funding from the National Science Foundation - Rachel Channon will tell us more about that later, but our organization will be helping the project with their database in 2013..and I try to maintain the SignWriting List and our web sites -

And all the other SignWriting projects around the world are truly a gift to all of us and have nothing to do with me really - except you all have my moral support and gratitude!

Val ;-)

-------