US Literature SignPuddle

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Sep 13 15:48:07 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
September 13, 2012

On Sep 13, 2012, at 2:49 AM, MARIA GALEA wrote:
> I need to know how many known writers input into the US Public Literature
> Puddle? Can anyone help?

-------

Hello Maria and everyone -

Regarding the ASL Literature Puddle - I would have to go through each document in the entire puddle and search for the sources one by one, but that would not necessarily give you the right sources, because sometimes one person would enter many old documents for others, so we need to clean up the Source information in the US Literature puddle and we have not done that yet - My nephews and others helped us with the SignWriting Document Preservation Project (http://www.signwriting.org/literature/preservation/) years ago, and so they entered lots of documents for other people….

Regarding finding all the writers who write SignWriting in the world (grin)… just to share with you...

We have a way to search for a specific source, in SignPuddle, so if you were looking for all the documents written by one person, and that person put his or her name in the Source area, you could find all the documents written by that person… That is a cool new feature of SignPuddle 2…

But to find a listing of all sources for all puddle files is hard - I do not know how to do that - You could go through each file or document and record the sources one by one…which would be a huge and tiring job - or maybe someday there would be a way to find that through the software behind the scenes - I will ask Steve -

So how many people write SignWriting?

If that is the question then searching SignPuddle is not the only answer, since there are other software programs with many writers too…and since there are some writers who do not use computers at all - and there are more writers out there that do not use computers than anyone realizes…

An example is the SignWriting workshop in Amman, Jordan, which I just posted to the List - in 2010. All the participants were Deaf, and most wrote by hand, but then they also used other software other than SignPuddle - I noticed in the photos it looks like they used SWEdit from Brazil - that is a good program that many people use in Brazil as well -

And the DELEGS software also has writers - so it is almost impossible to know how many people write SignWriting documents around the world except judging by the great photos and emails I get, they certainly are active!

signwriting at mac.com
www.signwriting.org

ASL Wikipedia Project on Wikimedia Labs
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org