ISWA (2010) Detailed Location symbols

Claudia S. Bianchini chiadu14 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 15 09:58:28 UTC 2012

hi Maria,
do you mean symbols used to indicate the exact location of a hand or a
touch?
As I know, no one use them! The reason (as I say in my thesis) is that they
seems "alien" in a SW figure... Imagine that you want to write a sign with
a detailed location symbols. You have to write your sign, and then add in a
corner one of those "detailed location symbols": they don't have the same
aspect of other glyphs, they don't have the same size, so you can't use
them as a base to put others glyphes like configuration or mouvement...
they are like "a punch in a eye" (tipical italian expression) and they
broke the analogical relation between signing space and SW space.
By the way, on my point of view, they are also useless. Infact, SW have the
caracteristic to have a perfect indication of the location that is not
"explicit" but is "implicit" (Garcia, from Univ.Paris8, call this
"emplacement en creux"), given by the relative location of the others
glyphes. When the implicit location is not enough, users put more
informations as he position of arms or shoulders.
I hope I gave you a satisfying (and understandable) answer
Claudia

--
Claudia S. Bianchini
PhD Student @ Univ. Paris8 + CNRS-UMR7023-SFL