SignWriting Taught in Tunisian Deaf Community

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Sep 19 20:37:10 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
September 19, 2012

Hello Dali!
This is very exciting indeed. I am so happy to learn about your news ;-))

Teaching is different depending on who you are teaching ….children, or adults, interpreters, or researchers …as you say the Deaf Community wants to make this theirs, which is perfect, so I would like to suggest that after you teach the adults the basics, using this book:

SignWriting Basics Instruction Manual
www.signwriting.org/archive/docs6/sw0550-SignWriting-Manual-Part1-Basics.pdf

and of course teach the adults SignPuddle and how to write their own signs, and search for signs, just as Maria and others suggested…their advice is excellent…

Then, ask the Deaf adults to help you translate and re-write some American books, into Tunisian Sign Language for your Deaf children…or create these materials based on other Tunisian children's stories…whatever works best for you…

Here are two books we use for teaching children in ASL…other countries have translated them into their sign languages and you are welcome to do the same:

Golidlocks Workbook
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0076-US-Goldilocks-Level1.pdf

Goldilocks Basic Reading Book
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0077-US-Goldilocks-Level2.pdf

In the process of translating these materials into written Tunisian Sign Language, using SignPuddle, your adult learners will become skilled at SignWriting through the process…

You have my full permission to use the illustrations in these books, including the Basics Instruction Manual.

I will send you a package today -

Have a wonderful time teaching, and please take photos and get permission to post so we can share them!

We wish you all many blessings in Tunisia - Please say a warm "hello" from me to all your students -

And they are all welcome to join the SignWriting List too - smile -

Val ;-)

--------

----

---------