Research in Sign Language notations

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 3 22:19:52 UTC 2012

SignWriting List
September 3, 2012

Hello Jessica -
Yes, Steve is right…There are literally thousands of pages of written sign language literature in SignWriting on the web, all accessible in computer data formats. SignPuddle software provides a web-platform for written SignWriting literature, and when you go to the Literature Puddles of different countries you will find so many documents it is overwhelming to choose which ones to use…

SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/

Try the Bible Puddle:

ASL Bible Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=28
(has thousands of pages…the four Gospels alone are over 2000 book pages)

And there are other software programs that write SignWriting literature too, such as the new DELEGS software from Germany, and the future SignWriter Studio from Honduras.

We are not experts on the other systems and I cannot imagine finding a parallel corpus of work, since the other systems were not designed to write sign language literature the way SignWriting has been.

SignWriting provides written literature in the sign languages of the world and that is our focus…and it is being read on a daily basis by signers, including children…Researchers use SignWriting too, and more databases are now being built using SignWriting, such as the new SignTyp project from the University of Connecticut, but it is SignWriting literature with full sentences and punctuation, and rich facial expressions, which is unique in this way…

For example …a new exciting project is starting …the new test project of the future ASL Wikipedia:

ASL Wikipedia Project on Wikimedia Labs
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org

Go to the opening page of the ASL Wikipedia (link above). This first ASL paragraph is a written translation of the English paragraph next to it…translated into ASL by Adam Frost:

Or, go to the first ASL article written in the new test ASL Wikipedia project:

Charles Michel de l'Épée in ASL
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Charles-Michel_de_l%27Epee

The first paragraph attached in ASL is a translation of the first paragraph in the English Wikipedia for the same article:

Charles Michel de l'Épée in English
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Michel_de_l%27%C3%89p%C3%A9e

Regarding the Bible translations, the New Testament will be completely translated in the next two years - right now the complete Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, Romans, Peter1,2, Philippians, are complete, and now Ephesians is being completed…Look at the first page of Ephesians:

Ephesians
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=28&sid=13036

See the English translation it is based on at the bottom of the SignPuddle page…it gives you a real "interpreter's translation" of the New Living Translation English text…

So we can provide you with thousands of pages of sentences and translations…the only problem is that we do not know HamNoSys and Stokoe. And the systems are not created for the same purpose so it is hard to compare them - Maybe you can choose something already written in SignWriting and then ask someone who knows the other systems to write it for you -

Ask questions here on the List - we are always here for you - and interested in your project - please keep us informed -

Val ;-)

-------