New handshapes for the ISWA 2010

MARIA GALEA maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT
Wed Sep 19 14:30:16 UTC 2012

Hi Steve, Adam and Charles,

I see your point - and agree fully. If creating new symbols is a means of
empowerment and ownership of the writing system - then that over-rides all
other theoretical issues.

In fact Florian Coulmas, who has written extensively about writing
systems, has actually stressed and couldn't underline enough the
importance of a community's acceptance of a writing system - without that
its all in vain.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - and I'm glad that is your
priority - as it makes perfect sense.

Thank you Charles for your Ethiopian example - I actually looked into a
little. The symbol frequency for the Dictionary is really interesting - as
it marks the use of symbols not used in the other Puddles I have looked
at. I also found an interesting article about the fingerspelling system of
Ethiopian sign language. Though I still have to download it and read it
eventually. Thank you for bringing this sign language to my attention.

Maria