Writing Non Manual Signals

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 13 18:50:50 UTC 2013

The best page that we have at the moment is http://www.signbank.org/iswa/. This is a page of all of the symbols in the ISWA broken up into categories, groups, and then individual symbols. There is only a short description of each symbol. It isn't the best, but it is thorough.

Now that you mentioned about the mouth movements, I looked at it more closely. I think you want to have the finishing mouth to be protruded open mouth rather than a slightly tighter open mouth, which makes the wrinkles that the lines around represent. In that case, I think the final mouth should be this:

I did a little playing with overlapping the heads and noticed that the overlapping couldn't occur very well without covering up the above mouthing symbol. Then I remembered that there were "topless" head circles, so I decided to try it out and see what happens. What do you all think about this?

Adam