top view symbol - found..is this it

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Apr 22 14:48:49 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
April 22, 2013

Hello Maria -
Yes. That symbol marks looking on top of the head, and seeing the shoulders sticking out from under the head - so it is the Top View of the head…

I use this symbol occasionally when trying to show depth - how far or how close a hand is to the chest for example, for verb modulations - Here is a web page, listing the Verb To Help, in ASL, and some of its many modulations - you will see that the Top View is useful there:

Verb To Help in ASL
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/grammar/verbs/

The Top View of the Head is located under the Heads group as you found…

You can also find more, for research use, under the Detailed Location section…having to do with location on the top of the head

http://www.signbank.org/iswa/384/384_bs.html

Val ;-)

---------