signwriting (swml file problem)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 25 21:33:06 UTC 2013

There was a project using SWML for Avatar work in Brazil more than 10 years ago under Professor Rocha-Costa in the Informatics Department at the Catholic University of Pelotas. I was there as they were trying to use some graphic generator to attempt manipulation using an avatar. The current incarnation of SWML is not being used that way, but it has been tried.

Charles Butler

chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com

240-764-5748

Clear writing moves business forward.

From: Stephen E Slevinski Jr <slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET>
Subject: Re: signwriting (swml file problem)
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2013, 3:27 PM

    Hi Asmaa Shaban,

      On 4/25/13 1:14 PM, Asmaa Shaban wrote:

        So, if i want to represent the output as 3d  avatar  , we
          have to use SWML ???

    SWML is not meant for avatar work.  SignWriting is primarily
    concerned with reading and writing.  Integrating SignWriting with
    avatars is not ready at this time.  It would make for a great
    project.

    For a more mature avatar solution, you may want to investigate
    something called "Signing Gesture Markup Language" (SiGML) that
    works with HamNoSys rather than SignWriting.

    Virtual Humans Research for Sign Language Animation

    http://vh.cmp.uea.ac.uk/index.php/Main_Page

    Regards,

    -Steve