signwriting (swml file problem)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Apr 27 14:11:01 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
April 27, 2013

On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:42 PM, Asmaa Shaban <eng_asmaashaban at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greeting Dr Valerie
> i want material to learn us swml dictinary
> and thanks advanced

---------

Hello Asmaa and team -
Have you considering using the  "Signing Gesture Markup Language" (SiGML) that works with HamNoSys rather than SignWriting? for animation development, as Steve suggested? SWML is not being used by us any longer and is not designed for Avatar development…

And since I am not a programmer, I do not know what an swml dictionary would be…

HISTORY of SWML

1. SWML was originally developed by the pioneer of SignWriting in Brazil, Dr. Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa - thank you, Antonio Carlos, for the original SWML! :

SWML by Dr. Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/swml/
http://rocha.c3.furg.br/

2.A second version of SWML was developed in Belgium for this work:

Flemish Sign Language Dictionary
Over 6000 Signs Written in SignWriting
http://gebaren.ugent.be/
http://www.signwriting.org/belgium/flemishdict01.html

Maybe you can get the SWML from the signs in the above dictionary?

3. A third version of SWML was developed by Steve Slevinski used in the original SignPuddle Online, but we are no longer using that…I don't know if we have access to old versions of SignPuddle that use SWML or not…

Soooo - I would suggest either using SIGML, or try to use the new FSW at the bottom of each sign in the modern SignPuddle Online…see attached…you go into SignPuddle, find the sign you want in the dictionary, and then click on the little FSW link underneath the signs:

Val ;-)

---------