For Marquita - ASL Thesis project using SignWriting

Maria Galea signwriting.maria at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 16 20:48:01 UTC 2013

Dear marquita

I would like to understand why you choose ASL and not LSM (maltese sign lang) since you are a maltese student and working here in malta.

Im sure you have your reasons i just cannot help to feel our Maltese Deaf friends could use all the tiny resources we have.

 Im also not sure how you are going to carry out your test. You mentioned testing preference for video vs. Signwriting. Who will carry out the test? If your participants are Deaf Maltese they do not sign ASL and do not understand it.

Maria

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Subject: Re: For Marquita - ASL Thesis project using SignWriting
From: Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
CC:

SignWriting List
April 16, 2013

Excellent, Adam, thank you!

Adam is a teacher of ASL at UCSD (University of California San Diego) and San Diego Mesa College, as well as a linguist -

and thanks also to Charles -

I think you have your ASL grammar lessons for your project, Marquita!

Eyebrows up or down are a part of the grammar - Adam gave you that information below too -

When you create your translation in the translate feature, the signs may not have the eyebrows the way you want them…so in SignPuddle after you have chosen the signs you want in the sentence and push the Update button, you can save the sentence and then after it is saved, under the saved sentence, will appear buttons for editing. Choose "Write SignText" and it will load the sentence into the SignText Editor, where you can add the eyebrows - and then save it again -

Ask questions if you have problems -

Val ;-)

-------