Evolution to Simplified SignWriting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Aug 11 19:00:26 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
August 11, 2013

Hi Charles -
Great to hear from you…Congratulations on the dictionary you are working on….I think a printed dictionary will be great and I look forward to reading it...

Regarding the natural process of writing fewer symbols through the evolution of writing thick books...

I think all this will evolve on its own, with or without us…

Writing systems change through use and we have thick books now, with thousands of written pages in ASL, and that is partly why some of these simplifications developed…

And certainly you are right that when one is new to learning to read any language, more information is needed - I remember learning Danish and having to learn the new alphabetic characters in the Danish spoken language, that are added to the Roman alphabet that Danish requires, and to this day those special alphabetic characters are not as natural for me, since they are not in my native language, English…

So to clarify what is happening here with our ASL books …if we write the hands looking like they are touching each other…putting them very close to each other….rather than far apart…If that "picture" of contact is written well…then we can see they are touching no matter what, and then in those cases, the Touch Star may be a reinforcement, but not a requirement, because you can see the contact in the placement of the hands… This is only true for single Touch…a Touch-Touch (a double touch) is different because it is a real movement…DoubleTouch has to be written because it is a movement.

Here is an example of two ways to write HOUSE in ASL…which can be written with a single Touch Star, but it can also be written without, if the Position of Contact is written well…we are also not writing the Same-Time curved line any longer because we are assuming that the movement is done at the same time unless otherwise stated…see attached diagram...

Thanks for listening everyone!

I am creating PowerPoint versions of all our textbooks, and will give you the links on the web shortly -

I am also reading the first couple of chapters of Maria Galea's dissertation this week - Very exciting, Maria!

Val ;-)

---------