Terminology - your advice?

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 14 11:59:51 UTC 2013

I am also open to Skype, Nancy and Deborah, so we could work as a team. I'm in Hyattsville, MD (near Washington DC).

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Romero <romero at SIGNWRITING.ORG>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: Terminology - your advice?

Hello Deborah,

I could teach you SW by Skype.

My Skype address is romero.nancy

We could meet once or twice each week; an hour is good. What do you think.

Nancy Romero
romero at signwriting.org

On Aug 13, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Wadde9 <wadde9 at AOL.COM> wrote:

Val,

> [...]
>

>That being said, ASL is a completely seperate language (as you know).  My question to you is, do you also mean to ask what is the best way to direct someone to read the SignPuddle in ASL or are you only asking how to express this in English?  You have a few responses which answer this question from an English perspective, but if you intended to ask also for the ASL perspective, I would be happy to inquire with the Deaf Community to give you some feedback.  I'm asking because I wasn't clear on which you were asking.
>

>Also, I have a question for you.  Does anyone ever offer classes on SignWriting on the east coast?  I am interested in taking a class next summer but the distance to California and the expense of the trip might be too much for me right now.
>

>God Bless!
>

>Deborah Waddell
>

>wadde9 at aol.com
>(865) 216-7909
>
>>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.
>

>Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>

>Hoi,
>

>online is a state ... you are online
>the web are those websites that start with www typically, they are the ones you use a browser for
>the internet is both the infrastructure that connects computers through an open connection and it is loosely the same as the web except that there are more services that use Internet protocols that are NOT websites.`
>

>I hope this is a bit clear.
>Thanks,
>      Gerard
>

>On 12 August 2013 21:03, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
>
>SignWriting List
>>August 12, 2013
>>

>>Question for everyone…
>>

>>I am trying to update my terminology…
>>

>>What is the difference between these three terms?  Online…Internet….Web
>>

>>For example, when a document is "on the web", is that the same as "reading a document online"?
>>

>>Is an Online Course the same as a Course on the Web, or a Course on the Internet?
>>

>>I looked some of this up on Google, and some of the answers I got are pasted below, but I am still not sure…
>>

>>When I want to direct someone to read a document in SignPuddle Online….is that a document on the web? a document online? or a document on the internet?
>>

>>smile…
>>

>>and when people offer courses online, are they really on the web? or are they in something else other than HTML? what happens if it is PHP? is that on the web?
>>

>>smile …
>>

>>Anyone have a quick explanation understood by all? ;-)
>>

>>Val ;-)
>>

>>--------

>>Google searching...
>>

>>Answer: The Internet and the World Wide Web have a whole-to-part relationship. The Internet is the large container, and the Web is a part within the
container.  It is common in daily conversation to abbreviate them as the "Net" and the "Web", and then swap the words interchangeably. But to be technically precise, the Net is the restaurant, and the Web is the most popular dish on the menu.

>>Here is the detailed explanation:
>>
>>1: The Internet is a Big Collection of Computers and Cables.
>>
>>The Internet is named for "interconnection of computer networks". It is a
 massive hardware combination of millions of personal, business, and
governmental computers, all connected like roads and highways. The
Internet started in the 1960's under the original name "ARPAnet".
ARPAnet was originally an experiment in how the US military could
maintain communications in case of a possible nuclear strike. With time,
 ARPAnet became a civilian experiment, connecting university mainframe
computers for academic purposes. As personal computers became more
mainstream in the 1980's and 1990's, the Internet grew exponentially as
more users plugged their computers into the massive network. Today, the
Internet has grown into a public spiderweb of millions of personal,
government, and commercial computers, all connected by cables and by
wireless signals.

>>No single person owns the Internet. No single government has authority
over its operations. Some technical rules and hardware/software
standards enforce how people plug into the Internet, but for the most
part, the Internet is a free and open broadcast medium of hardware
networking.

>>Here is a conceptual diagram of the Internet and how it contains many forms of online communications
>>
>>2: The Web Is a Big Collection of HTML Pages on the Internet.
>>
>>The World Wide Web, or "Web" for short, is a massive collection of
digital pages: that large software subset of the Internet dedicated to
broadcasting content in the form of HTML pages. The Web is viewed by
using free software called web browsers. Born in 1989, the Web is based
on hypertext transfer protocol, the language which allows you and me to "jump" (hyperlink) to any other public web page. There are over 65 billion public web pages on the Web
today.