productive/receptive writing question

maria galea signwriting.maria at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 20 15:41:25 UTC 2013

Hi Erika,
sorry for the delay, thought i'd answer your questions

- "Did you initially write receptively? If so, how did you shift? (or do
you still write receptively sometimes?)."
When transcribing sign language data I've always written expressively, not
receptively.  All that has been written for Maltese sign language (all the
texts in the Malta Literature Puddle and single-signs in the Malta
Dictionary Puddle) is written expressively.

 - "How do you feel that writing productively affects the way you choose to
write (or how you read other people's writing)?"
Since I know no other way, I find that writing productively is the only way
to write and I find I can read fluently this way.  It would be interesting
to see what would happen if I was given a piece of LSM receptively written
text - i don't know whether I would be able to read it as fluently or not.
I have on occasion met single signs that have been written receptively (for
other sign languages). Since they are signs in isolation (not running text)
I was able to read them (or rather produce them) with relative ease.

I think that when transcribing natural data (using SignWriting for
notations not writing), receptive writing may have its advantages. When
teaching SignWriting, my students are asked to transcribe some data and
they do sometimes 'accidentally' shift to receptive writing.  I think it
might be more natural to transcribe natural data receptively, especially
when it comes to the placement of signs in space. E.g. when the signer
signs on the right, in video form it appears on the left (and vice-versa),
and this may be a little confusing for the transcriber, or if not
confusing, it is at least more time-consuming , since you need to engage in
some mental activity of putting yourself in the signer's shoes before
transcribing.

Interesting subject! Enjoy your work on it.
Maria