Introduction of Denny Voreck

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Aug 6 01:37:15 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
August 5, 2013

Hello Denny!
Welcome to the SignWriting List. It is great to be in contact with you again.

For those on the SignWriting List who may not realize, back in the late 1980's and throughout the 1990's we had an active Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting. DAC members came to my home, usually on Wednesday nights, after working at Salk Institute or other places, and we would sit in my living room and discuss how to write signs. Denny did a lot of his DAC work at home on his computer, using SignWriter DOS. Thank you, Denny, for your contribution to the SignWriting dictionary in SignWriter DOS.

And Denny also was a part of our Deaf Perspectives on SignWriting Video Series. He interviewed a Deaf Signwriter from Saudi Arabia…you can read the transcriptions of the interviews on these web pages:

Denny Voreck 1994
http://signwriting.org/deaf/deaf004.html

Denny Voreck Interviews
Abdul Aziz Al-Obaid of Saudi Arabia
http://signwriting.org/deaf/deaf005.html

The above interview can be viewed in ASL on YouTube, towards the end of this long video:
Deaf Perspective on SignWriting, Video 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqgvDMvReQ&feature=share&list=TLi-OPlG7qSr0

Anyway - Denny - I share your dream about SignWriting becoming established in the school system in the US, as do most people on this List. SignWriting was taught for 5 years in the Albuquerque Public School System in the early 2000s, at Hodgin Elementary School…under the direction of researcher Dr. Cecilia Flood:

Hodgin Elementary School SignWriting project
http://www.signwriting.org/usa/newmexico/albuquerque/albuqu.html

And it is used to teach ASL to High School students in Arizona - and since you live in Arizona, perhaps you would like to be in touch with the teacher - Natasha Escalada-Westland?

Natasha's web site Westland ASL (http://www.westlandasl.com/) is used by her high school students at Catalina Magnet High School in Tucson. Natasha teaches ASL using SignWriting, and has done so for many years.

Hope you and Natasha can meet someday -

Val ;-)