Terminology - your advice?

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 13 10:25:41 UTC 2013

In my mind (my first language is Norwegian, not English) the terms 'Internet' and 'Web' are interchangeable. 'Online', to me, means something that you have to have an internet connection to accsess. If you can download the document (or any other file), then disconnect from the web, and then read the documetn, it is not an 'online document' but a 'downloadable document', such as most pdf-files. If you cannot download the file to your computer, the file stays as an 'online document'.
So I see 'downloadable from the web/internet' as distinct from 'view online', 'work on online' (as the SignPuddles) or similar.
'Online courses' may differ, if you get your course material as downloadables, then work on it, and upload your results to get response from the teacher. You have be online part of the time, but not all the time.
So 'online' means 'stay connected' and 'on the web / internet' means accessible through the web, but maybe downloadable.
Thus 'on the web / internet' is more general, 'online' is more spesific.

Ingvild

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 00:28:26 -0400
From: wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Subject: Re: Terminology - your advice?
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

    All good questions, Val.  I'd pick: all of the above.  :-)

    Really, though, many of the terminologies overlap.  When you say
    that something is on the Web, it's on the Internet.  The Web is part
    of the Internet.  Most people tend to associate the Web with browser
    pages.  It gets a bit complicated, however, as browsers can now
    access other than just HTML.  PHP runs in a web page (accessible in
    the browser) and you can even use plugins in browsers to access
    other parts of the internet, like IRC.   You can directly access FTP
    pages now through the browser.  That tends to muddy just what is the
    Web.

    "Online" is usually used when there's a corresponding offline.  For
    instance, an online file is accessible over the internet, but an
    offline file would be on your computer that only you can access.

    Now to answer your questions specifically:

    A document "on the web" is not the same as "reading a document
    online."   Documents come in all formats and sizes and some need to
    be downloaded and opened with special software.   When you read
    something online that usually means there is control of the document
    online so that you don't download it to read it.  You stream it from
    the server as you read.  It may even not end up on your computer but
    goes poof after you read it.  E-readers come to mind.

    An online course is the same as a course on the web or a course on
    the internet.  They're interchangeable because you have to access
    the internet for all three and almost all courses are accessed
    through a browser.   While it's possible to have a course through
    IRC or other chat protocol (skype?), it's usually not referred to as
    an online course.

    As to a document in SignPuddle Online, that's a document that's
    being accessed through a Web app (PHP) using the browser and so
    would be more limited than just any ol' file on the Internet.   I'd
    tend to technically say that's a "web document" but who says that?
    Nobody.  Everyone would refer to it as an online document.  Only the
    really geeky would point out that an FTP file - or any other file
    that can be accessed through the internet - is also an online
    document and therefore "online document" - while inclusive of a web
    document - is not exclusively limited to it.  Got it?  ;-)

    It may help to keep in mind that all files reside on a computer
    somewhere.  The question then, becomes "is it accessible through the
    internet?".  If it is, it's online.  If it's not, it's offline.

    Bill

    On 08/12/2013 03:03 PM, Valerie Sutton