AW: Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology of sign language

maria galea signwriting.maria at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 13 00:54:21 UTC 2013

Hi again!
About parts of speech, I agree with Rachel that parts of speech for sign
languages are usually not so straightforward (like English). A sign may
sometimes become a verb or noun depending on its context. For instance in
LSM, the sign DOOR can be either nominal or verbal depending on its place
within a sentence: MAN-DOOR would mean 'the man opens the door' (where it
is verbal) whereas in DOOR-BREAK the same sign is nominal meaning 'the door
broke'...but it is good to have the option to list them I guess and leave
them empty at will..

yes Valerie I definitely see the value of SignPuddle as an editing program
for all, even beginners - I just thought it would be good if Puddle could
remain accessible to all, yet become less anonymous - for instance on the
internet there are millions of blogs and billions of blog-posts but they
are rarely anonymous - and in being more transparent has its advantages :)

Re the statuses:
* provisional
* approved
* nonstandard
* rejected

I think I understand Stefan's concern, because how can spellings be judged
when the orthography of a given sign language is not yet standardized. All
spellings are acceptable in the sense that they are all attempts towards
the representation of a sign in written form (irrespective of skill in SW).
 Rather than these statuses, could you mark the spellings with the statuses
of representation 01, representation 02, representation 03 etc of a given
sign, and somehow link these different spellings of the same sign (lexeme)
under one target sign.  This would make the count of the sign entries truly
sign/lexeme counts rather than a count of every spelling? ... once again
not sure this is possible, but just thought I'd share my thoughts about it
just the same,

regards,
maria

sutton at signwriting.org