AW: Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology of sign language

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Fri Dec 13 18:56:26 UTC 2013

On 12/13/13, 10:20 AM, Adam Frost wrote:
> And what exactly is being approved or rejected? The spelling of the
> sign? Or the sign itself? How would non-standard play into it?

Hi Adam,

SignPuddle has always been focused on the spelling of a sign rather than
the concept of a sign.

Similar signs are related to other signs because they are spelled
similarly not because of connections in a database.  At the end of this
email, I've included a detailed example of how morphology works directly
with SignWriting text.

With SignPuddle, there is an existing security model and data
structure.  I'm trying to stay as close as possible to this model so
that we can continue with the current SignPuddle corpus.  We have over
100,000 sign entries and over 1 million written signs.

Each open puddle accepts new entries from any SignPuddle user. Those
users can edit their own entries but not other people's work. Each
puddle can have a list of editors.  These editors can edit or delete any
entry.

How these editors behave, how they are chosen, and their interactions
are puddle specific.  There is no way for Valerie or I to moderate each
individual choice.  However, we are involved in granting or revoking
editor privileges on a per puddle basis. This give a language community
a way to clean up their dictionary on their own.

For some editorial disputes, the right answer is to split a puddle into
2 different puddles for 2 different groups to work separately.

I am interested in evaluating the status of each sign entry so that we
can improve the content over time and improve the quality of the search
results.  To help editors, I've imagined a simple workflow.

For SignPuddle 3, all of the imported content will be marked as
"provisional".  This will be the initial quality of the ASL Dictionary:
10,000 provisional entries.

This is not a negative, but a statement of fact.  The quality of the ASL
Dictionary is unknown. Over time, if editors choose to work on the
provisional entries, the numbers will change.

Imagine a year later if the ASL Dictionary reported the following numbers:
200 provisional
6,000 approved
2,000 non-standards
1,000 rejected

The search results of the approved entries would be much nicer to use
than the search results of the rejected entries.  If the approved
entries didn't contain what I was looking for, I could search the
non-standard or provisional entries.

The status is overloaded for both sign quality (physical production) and
script quality (written image).  Both of these would need to be judged
to correctly mark an entry.

To evaluate an entry for "teacher", we would evaluate both the way it is
written and the way it is signed.  A good writing for a good sign may be
approved.  A good writing of an unusual sign would be non-standard.
Likewise, an unusual writing of a good sign could be non-standard as well.

If I see a provisional entry that clearly contains an error, it should
be marked as rejected.  If that author makes a habit of checking their
writing, they will find one of their entries has been rejected.  If they
investigate the reason for the rejection, they will hopefully learn
something new and be able to fix their writing.

I can understand the personal sensibilities of not wanting to judge the
work of others or not wanting to have my work rejected; however, for the
SignPuddle corpus to improve there must be some workflow that helps get
us there.

I've imagined this simple workflow and I'm open to discussion or ideas.

The quality of the SignPuddle corpus is evident with the search
results.  Without a way to filter content, there is a lot of bad writing
included with a lot of great writing.

Regards,
-Steve

PS - Regarding morphology with SignWriting text.

If we search for "teacher" in ASL, we will find the following signs.

These signs are examples of compound morphology because they all include
the end morpheme of person.  With SignWriting text, it is possible to
search for this person morpheme.  One example query string is as
follows: QS15a40520x543S22a04520x574S15a48473x543S22a14473x574

For ASL, there are 47 signs that are found with this query.

In English, they have names like:
> audiologist
> caretaker
> champ
> champion 	Comforter
> convert
> Creator
> Creator 	criminal
> destroyer

If we return to the original teacher list, we can see a different
handshape is used in one of the "teacher" signs.  A different query can
find this non-standard entry.
QS14c40512x529S14c48459x528S22a04517x569S22a14462x571

These are the only 2 results that describe the person morpheme in this way.

If we modify the query string for the same handshapes, but in other palm
facings and other rotations, we get more results.
QS14cuu512x529S14cuu459x528S22a04517x569S22a14462x571

Now, all of this information was entered by SignPuddle users and
searchable within the SignWriting Text.  It is a bit of a jungle, but a
very beautiful and interesting place.