Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology of sign language

Rachel Channon rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Dec 15 00:26:09 UTC 2013

I think the different signs or facial expressions are all great.  And
social media voting is a great idea.
I suggest saying "just playing" instead of "reject" or thumbs down or
frownie face. That is less hurtful than "rejected", and maybe it will
make Valerie feel better :).
Also, I think everyone, not just editors should have the ability to
move their own writing between "just playing" and "provisional". In
other words, "provisional" is a request to the editors and other
signers to look at the sign and see if it looks good to them.  "Just
playing" says "I know I'm learning, and I know this isn't standard, so
please do not critique it."  When you want some feedback, then you
change it to provisional.
Rachel

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:07 AM
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology
of sign language

SignWriting List
December 14, 2013

Hello Everyone -
If I think that my writing on SignPuddle Online will be judged like
this, I am not so sure I will want to use SignPuddle Online any longer
- It takes the joy out of writing . I certainly would not put my name
in the source...

The thumbs up and down hand symbols upset me just looking at them -
funny how I reacted to it -

So the smiling faces are the best, if you need symbols of approval or
disapproval - I agree with Adam's idea of the facial expressions -

I guess the world is changing around me, and Social Media has changed
a lot of people's thinking -

I am happy to have new features to help important linguistic projects,
like the SignTyp Project, and it is our pleasure to provide those
special features in the software, and thank you, Steve, for giving us
such flexible software. and if people find this fun and important to
judge the importance of a way to write a sign that is good to have the
new feature...

Just as long as the new features can be turned off, for those who are
not linguists and just want the joy of writing - that will be fine -
Not everyone will want to participate -

The more smiles the better -

Val ;-)

On Dec 14, 2013, at 7:51 AM, Adam Frost <icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM