One sign difficult writing

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 29 18:27:02 UTC 2013

There are a lot of signs in the video. It is not just one sign. I don't speak Arabic, and there seem to be a lot of signs with a fluttering flat open hand.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: One sign difficult writing

SignWriting List
December 29, 2013

Hello Charles, Stefan and Dali -
Thank you for these discussions. Although I have not seen the video, if it were my choice, I would not write the down-diagonal hand position with a diagonal line across the hand to show the diagonal position dipping partially down. I would assume the sign will be read without the added detail of the down-diagonal hand position, and it is too much detail to write down-diagonal hand positions for everyday use… the simpler the better…

And as you can see, I chose to write the left hand from the Front View and not the Top View…I think it is easier to read that way as well -

But there are always other ways to write the same sign, so if you have other ways to write it, feel free to post it -

I need to look at the video again - for some reason, on the video, I saw one sign after the other, but not the one we are trying to write - I suspect that must have been a computer glitch here, since you all saw the video easily -

For example, Stefan mentions that it starts out as a Flat Hand and not a Spread Five Hand - so that I did not realize -

So Dali, with our three-way conversation here, I think you can read the different ideas from the three of us, and you can choose to write it as you wish -

Thank you for sharing with us!

Val ;-)

--------

I looked at the left hand again and it starts out pointing diagonally down and to the right as a flat hand, I can easily do across and to the right on a diagonal but I'm not sure how to show the diagonal forward and down. Do we need a line through it as well?

SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org

SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org

sutton at signwriting.org
Post Messages to the SignWriting List: