Nicaraguan Sign Language Projects, SignWriting, Deaf schools

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Dec 30 19:31:16 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
December 30, 2013

Hello James!
Thank you for your report below about your work with Nicaraguan Sign Language, SignWriting, and establishing Deaf schools in Nicaragua...

I have been reading your messages and enjoying the passion and wealth of information you are providing all of us.

When I look back at your work in Bluefields and Condega, Nicaragua, years ago, I am filled with admiration for all you accomplished. Teaching SignWriting to Nicaraguan Deaf children in 1996 and thereabouts was a very brave thing to do, and you established schools for the Deaf in Nicaragua that did not exist before, and are still in existence, thanks to you, which means everyday, Deaf children are getting educations because of the groundwork you laid a long time ago. And the fact that SignWriting was used extensively for around a decade in those schools, and is still used, even though to a lesser degree today, is also remarkable. Thank you for your ongoing work keeping Deaf education alive there, no matter how difficult.

Thank you for this web site:

Nicaraguan Sign Language Projects
http://www.nicaraguansignlanguageprojects.org/

And this is our old web site, which needs to be updated:

SignWriting in Nicaragua
http://www.signwriting.org/nicaragua

And here, for example, is a Masters Degree thesis about your work in Deaf education and SignWriting in Nicaraguan Sign Language:

Literacy in Nicaraguan Sign Language
A Masters Thesis by Janice Gangel-Vasquez
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/research/rese003.html

and an example of literature...

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie in Nicaraguan Sign Language
http://www.signwriting.org/library/children/mouse/mouse.html

and there are so many more - I need to find all the links and make a message about all the links to your posted literature -

Val ;-)

———