A nice challenge

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Dec 29 22:04:11 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
December 29, 2013

Hello Gerard and everyone interested in Wikipedias written in sign languages…

Thank you, Gerard, for your own site, called Wikidata - and congratulations on providing the world with a good way to find and search for data -

Wikidata
http://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Main_Page

and I think in the long run, your challenge is a good idea, but I somehow doubt it is going to happen in the next two weeks - But I am glad to know about the new “drafts” feature that you mention in the Wikipedia world -

Just want you to know this message has not been forgotten… It is just a little overwhelming right now, to meet your challenge below, because the software is not quite ready to go yet, for the general public…and people are traveling over the holidays and actually do not have that much time...

But behind the scenes, in 2013, we have made great progress nonetheless -

There are now 50 articles, I believe, in the ASL Wikipedia on the Wikimedia Incubator test site, thanks to the amazing writing of Nancy Romero (thank you, Nancy ;-), and of course Adam Frost, ASL Editor and writer and Translate Wiki writer, and also Charles Butler wrote an article about his home town of Helen, Georgia ;-)

So we are blessed with articles!

And Steve Slevinski and Yair, and perhaps others, have helped to make it possible that we are now on the Wikimedia Incubator site - Thank you!

We are waiting and hoping that Firefox will be able to fix a bug in their browser software. Right now, the ASL Wikipedia articles are best read by using Chrome, Safari or Internet Explorer. I would suggest that people do not use Firefox right now to visit.

Go to:
ASL Wikipedia on Wikimedia Incubator
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/ase/

You will see a bunch of small titles of articles in ASL - click on one of these titles and you will then see the amazing vertical columns of an article -

One of the articles is about Dr. Carol Padden, who is one of the Laurent Clerc award winners, which you mention in your message, Gerard…

Article about Carol Padden in the ASL Wikipedia
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Carol_Padden
or
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase/AS16d20S27102S2ff00M535x563S2ff00482x483S16d20518x518S27102499x523

But even though Carol has a beautiful photo she has asked us to use, it is not acceptable in the Wikimedia Commons because she does not know who took the photo - so we are still working on that one -

So I think your idea is a good one, but the deadline is impractical right now - But it will all happen sooner or later ;-)

We are still planning on a SignWriting Symposium in July 2014. I hope we can see you there, Gerard - I hope to solidify the plan for the Symposium in early 2014.

Many thanks, and happy New Year!

Val ;-)

---------

sutton at signwriting.org