discussion: design of bent fingers

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 13 22:12:17 UTC 2013

For me there is an essential difference between a bent finger and a smoothed finger when you miss the point that two joints are bent, like the difference between "depend" where the joints smoothly go into a curve, and "friend" where they clearly link as bent square fingers. (McDonald's two CURVES) or  (etc.) and something with clearly the first and second joints clearly squared.

This is the sign for Mexican from a sarape (a blanket used as a wrap). It would not be correct to make the sign without an actual hooked finger as a "minimal pair", so, for me, "beautiful" artwork must make sure that you don't lose articulation.

Charles Butler

chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com

240-764-5748

Clear writing moves business forward.

From: Stefan Wöhrmann <stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject: discussion: design of bent fingers
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 4:58 PM

Hi Valerie and sw-friends,

I would like to ask for your comments about the
following issue.

Within our delegs-projekt a group of specialized
design-students have a second look at the various SW-symbols. From their point
of view there are options to “improve” the design of some symbols
in order to make the whole SW-symbol-font look more “modern” or “nice”

While preparing some studies of the ongoing process
they showed up with the question whether the bent index can be written with
smooth curves as well showing the index finger bent as you designed it as a finger
with sharp edges.

I played around with the signmaker to create a little
demo of what I am talking about.  ;-))

Interesting question – so I looked carefully at
the Symbolset and discovered that the “claw hand”  is designed
exactly this way  (rounded lines for the fingers)

On the other hand the hands with only one, two or at
least three fingers show this other design with sharp 90° angles.

Can you tell us: Is this a matter of history? Coming
from the old “DOS-SW-Software – we could not write nice circles
either. You know this “old symbol” just indicating that you are
supposed to see a circle-movement shown as some dots in a circle.

What about this difference between a clawhand with
curves or the same hand written with edges?

Is there any meaningful difference in the background
that you would want us to know?   Or is this a matter of artwork? ... or  something
else?

Would it be any difference if we would write all
these bent fingers with soft rounded lines?

Thank you very much for your attention.

All best

Stefan