idea for SW book

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU
Mon Jan 14 17:18:06 UTC 2013

Hi all! As some of you know, I am (slowly) working on a book about SW – its
development and use across different international sites (including the
transnational listserv). As part of this research I’ve traveled to visit
Valerie and some other list members, such as Stefan and Maria. I’d love to
visit everyone on the list (at least, every one who was willing!) but
unfortunately my limited funding won’t allow that. Still, I really want as
many interested SignWriters as possible to participate in the book. To that
end, I have an idea and I’m curious what you all think about it.

What if we selected some kind of passage that all of you who were willing
could translate into your respective sign language and write up using SW? I
could devote a chapter of the book to these different texts, which would
allow for a comparison across both different sign languages and different
ways of using SW. Each writer could perhaps reflect on the choices they
made in translating and writing their document, including perhaps how their
backgrounds/goals affect these choices. And perhaps participants could also
provide their own thoughts about what we can learn from the comparison of
these texts.

This is just my initial idea – if you have other ideas please let me know!

Thanks!
Erika

--
Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway