AW: idea for SW book

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU
Tue Jan 15 14:53:37 UTC 2013

KJ and Ingvild: wonderful, thanks!

Claudia: Thank you, these are great questions. I first wanted to gauge
whether there would be enough interest before I developed this idea
further. And I welcome feedback from the group about how to best proceed.

But initially, here are my thoughts: I definitely don't want isolated words
or sentences, but rather a longer passage (we can decide the length
together, based on the time you all have available, but I'd like a couple
of paragraphs at least). We can think together about the best source: any
suggestions?

Individual authors could perhaps decide whether they want to film a
translation in the relevant sign language and then transcribe from that OR
just directly translate into writing. And that detail could be part of the
contextualizing information for each text.

Claudia, you'd be welcome to participate in an analytical discussion of the
texts without producing one. But, regarding your concern about being "too
hearing": I do fervently hope that many Deaf signers will participate, but
I also don't want to exclude texts made my hearing SignWriters who want to
participate. I will want to contextualize each text with information about
the author's background and experience with the relevant sign language.

One of the reasons I welcome multiple texts in each language and by writers
of all backgrounds is that I'm not going to be arguing in the book that a
given text is a perfect representation of ASL or LIBRAS in some kind of
abstract uniform sense. Rather I'd like to explore the different ways in
which SignWriters of all backgrounds use the writing system to explore,
represent and (explicitly or implicitly) analyze various sign languages.

I realize that some of you have different interests or are working in
different disciplines with different goals (such that what will count as
appropriate data for Claudia will be different than what is appropriate
data for me). That's part of what I'd like to discuss in my book actually,
the ways in which your goals in using SignWriting affect the choices you
make in creating texts. So it's already, for me, useful to know that
Claudia feels that she is too hearing to produce a text for scientific
study, a feeling that makes sense given her discipline.

Does this make sense? I hope I'm not slipping into jargon of my field :)

Thanks all! I'm really excited to work with you on this project!

Erika