SignPuddle database design options

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Mon Jul 1 17:20:03 UTC 2013

Hi List,

Considering the dictionary entries, I will be making several additions
and would like the general lists opinion on the following topics.

This will be used for the coming database conversion.  I will continue
to support XML as an export/import format.

----------------

Language Codes:
     the design will include language codes for spoken and signed
languages.

Terms, titles, and text segments can be labelled by language.

----------------

Part of Speech:

The part of speech can be a text field or a select list.  I am consider
the following list.  Suggestions or comments are welcome.

adjective:  sign that gives attributes to nouns, extending their
definitions.
adverb:  sign that modify clauses, sentences and phrases directly.
conjunction:  sign that connect words, phrases or clauses together.
interjection:  sign that express emotions, sounds, etc. as exclamation.
noun: sign that indicates people, beings, things, places, phenomena,
qualities or ideas.
numeral:  sign that indicate quantities of nouns.
preposition: sign that describes the relationship of multiple
nouns/pronouns in terms of time, distance, or location.
pronoun:  sign that refer to and substitute nouns.
verb:  sign that indicate actions, occurrences or states.

----------------

Lexicon usage

An interesting designation for dictionary signs.  Would this list usable
by the various sign language puddles?

dated : sign that is no longer fashionable, but is anachronistic.
formal : sign whose use is typically restricted to polite, ceremonious,
non-casual contexts.
informal : sign whose use is typically restricted to casual,
non-?ceremonious conversations.
pejoratives:  sign with negative connotations.
slang: nonstandard sign that are typically used to mark membership in a
cultural subgroup.

Maybe add an additional lexicon usage such as "test" or "student" or
"other" to help filter the SignPuddle content.

Additional fields for videos and photos will be added for use with
definition, illustration, demonstration.

Thoughts or opinions?

Regards,
?Steve