Glyphs, graphemes or symbols? ISWA terminology

maria galea signwriting.maria at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 19 11:46:36 UTC 2013

Yes - this is the problem the terms are used differently in different areas
- Maybe Steve Slevinski could tell us what they use in the area of
unicode...

As for the field of writing systems/linguistics, I've just found this in
Coulmas Enclyclopedia. there is no definition of 'symbol' so I am ruling
that term out. The term glyph is defined as:
"A term derived by contraction from HIEROGLYPH. It has sometimes been used
in the description of writing sytems whose units were not well understood.
For example, in Maya epigraphy, where teh phonetic component of the writing
system has long been in doubt, it is used as a collective designation to
indicate a logogram, a phonetic sign or a compound sign" (Coulmas, 1996, p.
168).

The term 'grapheme' is provided as follows:
"Coined on analogy with 'phoneme'this term deignates the unit of analysis
in the study of written langauge understood as an abstract entity (...)
Every analysis of a writing sytem tart out with compiling a complete list
of the graphemes of that system on the basis of a set of data that comprise
all of its GRAPHS, that is visually distinct formal elements. (...)"
(Coulmas, 1996, p. 174)

*SO* on the basis of this (and considering all the work i've done so
far)... I will be calling the symbols of the ISWA 'glyphs' and the symbols
used by a specific language (in this case maltese sign language)
as..'graphemes' -

Claudia -  it is a good justification for using the term 'glyph' - I have
not consulted with the Deaf in malta about this choice of term. Might be a
good idea to check this..

Thank you Ingvild and Claudia!
maria