All Things Linguistic: SignWriting in ASL

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart.lists at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 1 19:22:19 UTC 2013

I have the book for si5s and have discussed some with Adrean Clark who
wrote the book. Since I am interested in writing sign languages in general,
I figured I might as well find out more about their system.

One major difference between si5s and SignWriting is that si5s is not
interested in being able to record all the details of the signing. Where
SignWriting can be used to be as detailed or as simple as you want, si5s is
intended to be as minimal as possible (or so I understand). In some cases,
you may not be able to be as specific with si5s as you can with
SignWriting. That's an intentional design decision. New symbols are added
only if it is absolutely necessary to be readable. At least, that is how I
understand the approach.