All Things Linguistic: SignWriting in ASL

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Mar 2 19:41:11 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
March 2, 2013

No worries, everyone - Since 1974, when I first started writing, there has always been the desire, by some, to only write in what they would call a "shorthand"…but truth be told…most people do not write shorthand daily, even in English - What IS happening though, is that any writing by hand has been replaced with handheld devices texting in some kind of abbreviated form of writing, and so what does our society do now? Basically there are three kinds of writing English:

1. typing by computer like I am doing right now
2. texting by a handheld
3. or reading published newspapers and documents written by others in formal writing that we all can read

So who really writes with a pen and pencil much now? Some do of course, but not as many people - when I take notes in English, I use my computer - I can barely write using my hands any longer - when I jot down a note I barely take the time to form the letters in English - I realized this the other day - I cannot handwrite my own language as well as when I was younger and did not use computers...

So having a way to really read sign languages - true literature - in sign languages - in a very readable document in SignWriting - written by others, is actually in keeping with what we are doing now with English and other spoken languages - there is reading, and then there is handwritten SignWriting, which is also used by many...

Take a look at our two new Wikipedia articles below… Do not think SI5S can write Wikipedia articles? (Do they really want to?) ...

Here are the two new articles posted recently:

Carol Padden Wikipedia Article
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Carol_Padden

Israeli Sign Language Wikipedia Article
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Israeli_Sign_Language