For Marquita - ASL Thesis project using SignWriting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon May 20 00:22:45 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
May 19, 2013

Hello Marquita -
Sorry for the delay in my response - I was away today and just got back - Thank you Bill for your excellent points - I agree with Bill…

Congratulations on doing so much so quickly - we look forward to seeing other projects of yours in the future -

Here are my offhand observations...

I need to look at it again, but my first-time impression was that the videos did not coordinate with the SignWriting - The SignWriting was suggested to you by our writers, not based on someone else's video, but from their direct language knowledge - usually when there is both SignWriting and a video on the same web page, usually the SignWriting is an exact video transcription of what was signed on the video...

I thought you had decided to use SignWriting instead of the videos, and since I thought that, I thought it was great that Adam and Cherie and others gave you their feelings as to how the sentences should be constructed - but if I had realized that you also planned to include videos of other people signing, then I would have told you to write what was on the video so the SignWriting and the video coordinated -

Also, it was very hard to view the videos at all - they were so fast I never even saw one complete video - I just saw a portion and the rest was cut off - so you need more time to view the video and at the end you need to still the video on the last moment of the last sign - don't let the video quit so fast -

Imagine trying to sign from viewing the video - you have to have enough time to see the movements and handshapes clearly -

I know you were in a rush to finish a project writing a language you do not know - I think the next project should be in Maltese Sign Language…1. ask a Maltese signer to sign each sentence slowly and carefully with full grammar and facial expressions…. 2. write those videos in SignWriting so the SignWriting and the videos coordinate…

Thanks Marquita!

Val ;-)

-------