What is Optical Glyph Recognition (OGR)?

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Mon Nov 4 14:57:41 UTC 2013

On 11/4/13, 6:50 AM, Fabrizio Borgia wrote:
> Dear Valerie,
> we are absolutely in no rush, since we are still developing the OGR
> engine, and it is still far from complete.
> As soon as the new material arrives, I'll be happy to run some tests
> and show you the result!

Hi Fabrizio,

Thanks for keeping us posted.  What results have you had from computer
printed material?

Would it be possible to print a page from the American Sign Language
Wikipedia (SVG) and use Optical Glyph Recognition to identify the
symbols used?
https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase/AS18517S20500S2ff00M529x544S2ff00482x483S20500519x504S18517503x517

Simple math would identify their 2-dimensional placement.  It sounds
like it would be possible to create Formal SignWriting strings from a
scan.  The strings wouldn't be exactly the same as the input, but
searching in SignWriting doesn't require exact string matches.  This is
very exciting.

Regards,
-Steve