What is Optical Glyph Recognition (OGR)?

Fabrizio Borgia fabrizio.borgia at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 6 09:19:42 UTC 2013

*@ Maria*
Thanks Maria, no worries, anytime will be OK!

*@Steve*
Since we are focusing on handwritten SW texts, we did not run a relevant
number of tests on computer printed material. Despite this, the
computer-printed material has been very useful in the first phase of the
development, since we used it to test our geometric recognition routines
(detection of rectangles, squares, circles, etc.) BEFORE dealing with
handwritten material, which proved much harder to recognize, and brought up
some interesting issues (just think about recognizing an incomplete
rectangle, or a badly drawn circle) which are now, in large part, solved.

Anyway, it will be definitely possible to print a Wikipedia ASL page, scan
it, and feed it to our OGR Engine!
As for formal SignWriting, this perspective is very interesting, but I'm
afraid I don't know much about it (SignWriting has so many projects
underway!) I'll be documenting and working on it as soon as I can!

*@Valerie*
Thanks for asking about the "digital format", I have not completely clear.
Yes, I need handwritten text, written in columns.
With "digital format" I was actually meaning "digital image format" so any
image or pdf format will do (.png .jpg .pdf etc...).

The great deal of documents sitting in your garage, is REALLY one of the
main reason for us to renew our efforts on OGR.
Despite this, it's not my intention to take away much time from you. Just
a  few scans will do!
We are working on the modern (ISWA2010) version of SignWriting, so, even if
it would be indeed very interesting to see SW variations from 1974 to
today, I'm afraid we will need just the latest material :(

About the ASL Wikipedia project:
I know the project, and I've written about it in my Ph.D. thesis, since I
think it is one of the most interesting SW projects at the moment. I really
had FUN reading the Abraham Lincoln page, and recognizing the few things I
know of ASL while I was reproduding the signs I was reading (large use of
initialized signs, in particular)! We'd really be excited to contribute, as
soon as the workload of OGR will get lighter!

*Thank you so much, everybody!*

fabrizio.borgia at gmail.com
fabrizio.borgia at uniroma1.it
fabrizio.borgia at serco.com