Genesis of SignWriting

James Shepard kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Wed Nov 6 19:25:33 UTC 2013

Well
this discovery will certainly shake up the linguistic world – back to
the drawing board on everything we thought we knew about language evolution
and early civilizations.  You could get a Nobel prize for this, Stefan!

n  James

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 2:17 PM
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: Genesis of SignWriting

SignWriting List

November 6, 2013

Ha! This is gorgeous and also with whimsy, Stefan
Thank you for this
.There
is a DanceWriting figure taking a bow on one knee on the bottom of the dress
of the figure on the left - very cute!

Did you know, when the SignWriting Script was categorized as one of the
world’s scripts by the International Bureau of Standardization (ISO) in 2006
( http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/iso15924-codes.html ), the discussion was
at the time that we were similar to Hieroglyphics
 I questioned that but
then there was not a good way to categorize SignWriting but as a “Featural
Alphabet” like Korean Hangul ;-)

Val ;-)

———