AW: FingerSpeller for LIBRAS (Brazilian Sign Language)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 17 05:20:27 UTC 2013

I have added *alfabeto as a grouping for the fingerspelling alphabet for Brazilian Sign Language. There will need to be some notes for the various dialects of LIBRAS as there are multiple orientations for H, P, and the four different punctuations (tilde, acento agudo, acento grave, circumflexo) and c (with a cedilla).

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Stefan Woehrmann <stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:46 PM
Subject: AW: FingerSpeller for German Sign Language

Hi Steve, Valerie and
friends...

thank you so much.

Let me ask you for the
favor to check two aspects to improve this option:

1) I can write uppercase or lowercase.
In any case the appropriate finger alphabet letter appears. That's great!
Unfortunately this does not work on the Umlauts. (Ä,ä, Ü,ü, Ö,ö)   Here, the finger-alphabet
characters appear only in capital letters. For a quick work that would be a
hindrance.

2) The letter "ß" is shown in the DGS by moving up and down the "S-hand"
The combination of “SS” shows
the “S-hand” moving to the right – jus as any other letter if it showes up as a
double-combination (aa,bb,ee, ff....)

In the FingerSpeller config file for German Sign Language you prepared so
far the signs for “ß”  and “ss” have to be exchanged.

“Ss” is like this:

“ß”  is like this

..and of course Valerie I
agree with your idea to change the design a little bit ...smile

All best

Stefan