Technical dictionaries

Jonathan Duncan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Thu Oct 10 14:29:32 UTC 2013

Hi all,
     please feel free to give point of view and suggestions.

Hello André
     This is a revised list of functionality for making technical
dictionaries for printout from the entries in the current SignWriter
Studio Dictionary from our emails off the list.  We could call these
technical dictionaries "Sign Lists" or "Glossaries" or "Topics". Look
forward to input from members on the list.

Features for first version

  * Create a new window to show the list of signs in for each "Sign List".
  *
  * Click on Add Sign will bring up the Dictionary which can be
    searched, then the signs selected to be added to the current "Sign
    List".
  * Sign Lists automatically saved to Dictionary file.
  * Can select paper size.
  * Print Layout
      o Two columns
      o Words (gloss) at the top of each entry in bold
      o SignWriting, with Illustration of what it is beside it.
      o Keep all entries together, not split across two pages.
      o Shrink SignWriting and Illustration if they don't fit the column
        width
      o Signs sorted by word (gloss)
      o Roman numeral page numbering

Possible future features

  * Screen paging. The complete list would not be loaded, at most 100 at
    a time to not overload the memory.
  * In the Dictionary add a place for full spoken language description.
  * Option to printout or not description
  * Option to printout secondary language also (bilingual option example
    English and French along with the sign)
  * Option to split output into several files. There may be a problem
    with PDF: with 10 signs per page we have 800 pages of ASL dictionary
    full of drawings and several pictures.  Low resolution sign images
    are required.  It may be problematic to load 800 pages in adobe to
    see 1 single word... Possibly split the dictionary in 5 or 24 documents.
  * Extra pages either make them or option to include pre-made pages in PDF.
      o The user should be able to create a cover page with text of
        several lines, and image, several line.
      o Second page, the editor name, the date, copyright to Valerie and
        you and pointer to internet sites.
      o Several pages of introduction text prior to the dictionary itself.
  * Possible a table of content or pointers to jump to a chosen letter
    (table of content being undefined until the page count is completed).
  * Possibly the first word of each page in the top left corner to
    browse fast through a paper document.
  * Sort signs by Symbol

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
Jonathan