AW: help with writing an ASL sentence for an academic paper

Cherie Wren cwterp at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 8 14:09:53 UTC 2013

hahaha.  I sent my response in before reading this..  I changed WITH to HOWrhq.  Writing is different for regular writing and signwriting.  in regular writing I write from left to right across my paper (diagonally up to match palm facing)  in signwriting I write down in columns, and so the same on my palm.  I actually cheated and started with the translator, but then took it into the sign text editor and modified some of it.

cherie

>________________________________

the sw-list ;-)) ,

>I love to discuss this kind of documents. SignWriting
is such a wonderdull tool to discuss different aspects of any given SL
performance on a solid foundation.

>This is a typical example. Somebody tries to
translate a given concept (idea, phrase, sentence) to ASL ( or
DGS...whatsoever..)

>Now different competent signers may offer their  w r
i t t e n   answer to this problem.

>What can be seen again and again ... there is not the
one and only possible translation.

>Even ifthe
sequenceof signsmaybe
the same there are still lots of possibilities to make individual
(perhaps meaningfull) differences ... In this case the facial expressions...

>The good point is that we can discuss our “examples”
in detail. We can learn from each other. We can look at the documents as long
as we want to (compared to video ... ;-)
>We can easily rewrite or change the document
if we wish to.

>Looking at your document Nancy – I have
a question. (Same question goes to Adam  ;-)) )
> I tried to rewrite your sentence with the US-
SignPuddle Dictionary. I do not get the same signs this way. Does this mean
that you write this kind of document from scratch with SignText?

>Nancy, I  would like to discuss your spelling
of “Language”  - the way you wrote it both hands move back and
forth at the same time. Is this the way you want to sign it?

>Another spelling question:  “written”
second sign in the right column.  Left palm facing you, right hand is moving
diagonally forward  instead down or to the right  ... mh ... compared to your
spelling of SignWriting (left hand palm up, right hand writing zigzag on the
palm) the first spelling seems to be somehow inconsistent. (Although there is
no doubt about that everybody should be able to understand the idea –
smile)

>Now a discussion apart from SignWriting and
spelling...

>Both of you (Nancy and Adam)  write a sign for
“with” –mh –   (Maybe just because Maria asked for a
sentence including this  “with”)

>Do not know ASL but  here is my question –
from my point of idea “with” is kind of  “with a pen”
or “with my friend”    or...”with the delegs Editor” but
“written with (????) SignWriting?