Basic Sign Language (Libras) Course in Brazil

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Sep 11 17:28:48 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
September 11, 2013

Hello Ernandes and SignWriters in Brazil...
Many thanks for this introduction. We are happy to meet you!

Thank you for the attached photo of your group. All of your friends are welcome to join the SignWriting List too...

To Join SignWriting List

SignWriting has been used with other Jehovah Witness groups in Honduras and Peru. If you are interested in information about their use of SignWriting, ask here on the List and I am sure we can provide you contacts and information. Of course the sign languages are different in each country, so that is a bit of a problem ;-)

And I am delighted to know that you are interested in learning SignWriting, not only at UFSC, but also using Dr. Fernando Capovilla's DEIT LIBRAS books, from the University of Sao Paulo -

Novo Deit Libras
http://www.signwriting.org/brazil/NovoDeitLibras.html

as you know we have a web page about Brazil and SignWriting:

SignWriting in Brazil
http://www.signwriting.org/brazil

Thank you to everyone in Brazil, for your charming and joyous messages to me on Facebook and all of your expression of love and appreciation - it is really a blessing to realize that SignWriting is used in Brazil…

The web page I mention above is out of date because there are many new developments for SignWriting in Brazil, and one of them is a new web site by Madson and Raquel Barreto - perhaps you know about this? They have courses in SignWriting online if you are interested, while you are waiting to attend UFSC:

Libras Escrita Web Site
http://www.librasescrita.com.br/

I plan to write an article about the http://www.librasescrita.com.br/ site but I haven't yet, so please visit them and then you are welcome to write here on the SignWriting List with questions…

And you can start writing your own LIBRAS signs and literature on the web:

SignPuddle for Brazil
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=12&sgn=46

We also have some Bible writing in LIBRAS:
http://www.signwriting.org/library/bible/LIBRAS.html

My best wishes to everyone in Brazil - Ronice, Marianne, Fernando, Madson and Raquel, Antonio Carlos, and all friends … how are you all? It would be great to hear from you -

Val ;-)

-------