10 Questions - Can you help answer them?

Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU
Fri Sep 20 14:37:55 UTC 2013

   1. Some people say "why do they not use English".. How different is a
   sign language from a spoken language

They are entirely different languages (as many previous answers have
noted). Literacy in a sign language does not preclude also being or
becoming literate in the dominant local spoken language. However, literacy
in the language in which one is most comfortable and competent (for many
people, a sign language) allows for greater ease of expression, the
creation and preservation of different kinds of literature, etc  - and
facilitates the acquisition of literacy in other languages. Thus, people
who are invested in ensuring that d/Deaf signers gain literacy skills in a
spoken language can more likely achieve that goal by encouraging rather
than discouraging the development of literacy in signed language. However,
sign language literacy is not only a means to that end - it is highly
valuable in its own right and, among other things, can encourage social
institutions to more consistently recognize the validity of language in the
signed modality.

2. How do you explain what it means when a language cannot be written

Many languages do not have written form. In and of itself this is not an
inherent problem - much research has shown that such languages can develop
sophisticated types of literature without a written medium. However, the
impact of having an un-written language needs to be understood in
socio-political and historical context. Currently, in many cases a language
cannot be employed in important social institutions or gain appropriate
social recognition when it does not have a written form. There are commonly
many widely circulating social ideologies concerning the effect of literacy
on societies and individuals  - while many of these beliefs are poorly
founded, they are nevertheless very powerful and have serious consequences
for people or groups thought to be "illiterate".

3. SignWriting is a script. How many languages are written in SignWriting

According to the terminology often used in the academic study of writing,
SW might more accurately be considered a writing system, which gives rise
to a wide range of scripts when applied to particular sign languages.

4. Can you recognise what sign language it is from a written text
As many have already stated: only if you know that sign language or have
some experience with it. I can recognize many languages - though not all -
written with the Roman alphabet even if I can't understand them.

5. What are the most active sign languages as far as you know
Seems to me that ASL, Libras, and DGS are among the most active (though
this is not an exhaustive list).

6. The use of SignWriting is growing rapidly. How do you know about how it
develops
It develops through its use - as it is employed to write different
languages in new genres. While there is not a central body attempting to
enforce strict standards, Valerie Sutton, the DAC, and the listserv (among
several other entities) create a community that keeps many using the system
in conversation.

7. Can SignWriting be used on mobile phones or is there an app for that
For reading but not yet well for writing, though this seems on the
immediate horizon.

8. Are there many schools where they teach SignWriting

Others have answered this more exhaustively. I'll just note that
StefanWöhrmann's
classroom in Osnabruck provides an example of the long-term benefits of
daily SW use in an educational context.

9. How hard would it be to have the pupils at these schools write two
articles a month ... How many Wikipedias could be started that way

Rather than focusing on asking pupils in schools to write the articles, it
makes more sense to me to ask adult signers. Deaf children often are not
granted the opportunity to be immersed in d/Deaf signing social networks
until they grow up, making such a task more difficult for them.

10. Why is Wikipedia strategically important for getting more people to
know about SignWriting
As others have said, while SW is not well known outside relatively small
networks, Wikipedia is widely recognized and seen as a site through which
linguistic diversity of online materials can be increased, providing more
people with access to this important resource.

--
Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
Assistant Professor of Anthropology